Spicy Avocado Pesto Pasta
1 box whole wheat pasta 1/2 pound chicken, diced 1 tablespoon oil 2 medium avocados, ripe 2 cups arugula, loosely packed 1 jalapeno 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, fresh 2 cloves garlic 1 lemon, or lime, juiced 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated 2 pints tomatoes, cherry
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
|Prep Time: 10 Minutes||Cooking Time: 20 Minutes|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta in a strainer.
- In a medium skillet, over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and chicken. Cook thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, add avocado, arugula, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Add the Parmesan cheese and puree again until it is mixed in.
- Pour the avocado pesto and chicken over the pasta, then toss gently to combine. If the pasta seems too thick and sticky, add a bit of the re-served pasta water.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with additional Parmesan as desired.