1 package whole wheat pasta, fettuccine, spaghetti or angel hair (12-13 ounces) 3 cups broccoli, chopped or 1/2 pound chopped florets 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons oil, or canola oil 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 3 cups milk, low-fat, warmed 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
|Prep Time: 15 Minutes||Cooking Time: 15 Minutes|
- In a large, heavy sauce pan, cook pasta according to package directions. During last 3 minutes of cooking, add broccoli. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, oregano, thyme and black pepper. Set aside.
- In same sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add oil and allow to warm for 30 seconds. Add flour, continue to cook, stirring constantly with a whisk for 2—3 minutes or until paste begins to smell toasty and browns slightly.
- Whisk in milk ¼ cup at a time. Stir constantly between each addition until liquid has thickened. Repeat until all milk has been added.
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese mixture. When thoroughly combined, stir in pasta and broccoli.
- Remove from heat, taste, adding additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.